Pierson Place Historic District
Generally bounded by Camelback Road, Grand Canal, Central and Seventh avenues.
Historically Recognized: November 2005
(Period of Significance: 1924-1956)
View Larger Map
Pierson Place Historic District offers an active mix of dwelling types that feels much more urban than many other historic districts. Single family homes mix with multi-family units of duplexes, triplexes, and quads, along with mid-century modern era apartments, the 17 story tall Landmark Towers on Central, and several business along the Central Corridor. Also running close by two sides of the neighborhood is the Phoenix Metro Light Rail conributing to the diverse urban mix.
The area’s first plat, Suburban Acres, was recorded in 1924, outside city limits but within a ten- minute drive to downtown. A series of Pierson Place plats followed as the city’s official population continued to expand during the 1920s. In 1926 Pierson Place was platted, followed by Pierson Place Amended and South Pierson Place in 1927, and Stanley Place in 1928. Del Monte Park was the last area within the district to be recorded, just after World War II ended in 1946.
By 1956 the area was mostly built out with single family homes and small scale multifamily buildings that include duplexes, triplexes, and fourplexes. Larger-scale multifamily complexes began appearing as infill in the late 1950s. Commercial development occurred outside the edges of the district at 7th Avenue, Camelback Road, and Central Avenue. In 1963, a multistory residential tower was constructed in the neighborhood on Central Avenue. The first plat in the Pierson Place survey area was Suburban Acres, recorded in 1924, west of Central Avenue, and adjacent to the Grand Canal to the south. Lots in the original plat ranged from two-thirds of an acre to a full acre. The one-acre lots were eventually subdivided into quarter acre parcels and sold for single family homes and small multifamily complexes. What remains of these residential buildings were constructed over a thirty year period, beginning in 1924.
Homes in the neighborhood were constructed with a variety of materials. Brick was the most common structural wall material used, though block and wood frame houses also appeared. Seven adobe homes were constructed in Mariposa and Pierson Streets, further adding to the variety of materials that helped characterize the neighborhood. The developers specifically marketed to families whose children would be attending Brophy College, a 1500 student college preparatory school just three blocks west of the their neighborhood.
Build out in the Pierson Place survey area continued to occur over the first decade after World War II. The Del Monte Park plat was recorded in 1946, and completely built out the following year with modest ranch style homes as well as a small multifamily development of fourplexes. Multifamily infill complexes were built throughout Pierson Place. In the early postwar years, these apartments ranged from collections of one story, single family, duplex, triplex, and fourplex buildings. Larger, multi-unit, two story buildings are associated with the late 1950s and early 1960s.
Pierson Place Historic District boundaries are roughly: Mariposa Street to Hazelwood Street, 7th Avenue to 1st Avenue.
Information courtesy of Historic Preservation Office, City of Phoenix Neighborhood Services Department
Pierson Place … If you have more info, please email firstname.lastname@example.org