East Evergreen Historic District
Generally bounded by Third and Seventh streets, McDowell Road and the alley south of Willetta Street.
Historically Recognized: November 1999
(Period of Significance: 1909-1929)
View Larger Map
East Evergreen is among the city’s oldest neighborhoods, with roots dating to 1887 when it was part of a larger residential subdivision called the Central Place tract. The subdivision sat north of the original town site, but it quickly drew residents as the city center boomed and “streetcar suburbs” flourished, according to city records. Developers subdivided East Evergreen in 1909 and lined the smallish neighborhood with homes through the 1920s. The neighborhood drew one of the state’s most well-known residents of the time, Army Col. James H. McClintock, a Rough Rider, postmaster and state historian. The McClintocks lived in a stately, two-story Craftsman bungalow on Willetta Street.[east evergreen historic homes] Today, the neighborhood blends the past with the present. The original homes, mostly one- and 1 1/2-story, range in style from Victorian to ranch. Some have deep front yards and porches; some overlook the small Townsend Park just off McDowell Road. The 1911 McClintock home is still standing, set off with a marker showing its status as a national historic site since 1990. But the neighborhood also is home to modern condos and townhouses, a few businesses and a head-turning outdoor art gallery at the home of a local artist. The streetscape, with its towering palms and old-fashioned lampposts, helps tie the eclectic neighborhood together. [east evergreen historic homes] Generally bounded by McDowell Road, Interstate 10, and Third and Seventh streets. Developed between 1909 and 1929.
Information courtesy of AZ Central
East Evergreen … If you have more info, please email email@example.com