Brentwood Historic District
Generally bounded by 16th to 20th streets, Culver Street and the alley north of Brill Street.
Historically Recognized: April 2003
(Period of Significance: 1926-1956)
View in a larger map
The Brentwood Historic District consists of several subdivisions platted between 1926 and 1946. It consists of single-family residences with only four exceptions: the Latter-Day Saints (Mormon) Stake Center at 1725 East Brill Street dating from 1947-1949 and three small apartment buildings. Although Ranch and Period Revival-style houses dominate the streetscape of the district, a few Southwest and Bungalow-style dwellings are also found, as are a number of unstyled homes.
The oldest house in the district, at 1821 East Willetta Street, was apparently constructed in 1916. However, this house and several other early 1920 buildings predate the platting of the various subdivisions that make up the Brentwood neighborhood. Governor George W. P. Hunt (Arizona’s first governor) resided at 1679 East McDowell Road until his death in 1934. His mansion was demolished in the 1950s to make way for the commercialization of McDowell.[brentwood historic homes] Brentwood was developed during the city’s booming building periods before, during and after World War II. Early on, the developer touted the neighborhood’s “modestly priced homes . . . with city water, gas and electricity,” according to city records. And though a good bargain, the homes still offered such “modern” features as hardwood flooring.
During World War II, a housing shortage for workers in war-related industries prompted the development of more economical homes with fewer amenities. As in the rest of the city, the end of the war brought a housing craze and Brentwood grew, with more homes aimed at middle-class families and building through the 1950s.
Information courtesy of Phoenix Historic Preservation Office and AZ Central